Posted: November 2, 2015
Step 1: EDUCATE YOURSELF ON THE TAX-CREDIT PROGRAM.
First, understand the difference between the two individual giving programs: Original & Overflow/PLUS
- Donors can give to both for the same dollar-for-dollar tax credit (if they have the tax liability).
- All students can receive Original scholarships.
- Students can receive Overflow/Plus Scholarships if:
- Switching from public school
- In kindergarten
- Part of a military family
- They have received Corporate or Overflow/PLUS scholarships in a previous academic year
Then, make sure you read the fine print.
- A School Tuition Organization cannot award scholarships solely on the basis of donor recommendation.
- This is why we have an application you must submit yearly.
- This is also why you should not expect any guarantees. We’re simply not allowed to give you them.
- A taxpayer may not claim a tax credit if the taxpayer agrees to swap donations with another taxpayer to benefit either taxpayer’s own dependent.
Step 2: JUST ASK!
- Send a letter to your friends and family. (APESF provides emails you can forward throughout the year, OR you can go the old-fashioned route & do a hand-written note.)
- Include APESF brochures in your holiday-card mailing.
- Take a friend to coffee, and tell her about the program face-to-face.
- Refuse holiday gifts. Ask people to recommend your kids with their tax-credit donation instead!
- Connect with your CPA to see if he/she would be willing to use your family when recommending the Private School Tax Credit to clients.
- Use social media to spread the word.
- Tell your friends to tell their friends!
Step 3: SAY THANK YOU.
“People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel.” -Anonymous